Tuesday 16 August 2011

Faerie Lights In The Forest

Hi guys, it's time for another tutorial. This time, I'm going to be looking at the Asrai wood. We all get one for free, so I feel like making mine a little different.

My inspiration comes mainly from music videos that are filmed in a forest at night with strobe lighting (cherub rock by smashing pumpkins and anything can happen in the next half hour being notable examples). So, imagine, if the spites of Athel Loren could lure in their next victims with strange, mystical lights.

For this project you need a set of LED circuits. I got mine from http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com , but to be honest I'd look around for better. I chose them as they were the first the found, but the wiring is a little flimsy and I ended up ruining one circuit as the wire was too brittle. Still, I got the job done, so if you can't find any better, use these guys. They sell pre-made battery and switch sets. I bought a couple of 3Vbatteries and switches, and several red 3V LED's. I also picked up a bit of PVC tape.


Simply enough, purchase a GW wood and clean up all the pieces with a craft knife. I leave the leaves where they are and paint them on the sprue.


Most of the trunk is hollow. I pick the spots I want my lights, and I make a little hole for them. Accomplish this by sticking a knife and twisting till the hole is made


Check your LED fits into the hole


Using the same technique, make a hole in the tree base and in the bottom of the trunk for the wires to pass through.


Using a ring of green stuff and superglue, fix it in place 


Feed the wires through the hole, and glue the trunk halves together


Join all the wiring up. This is straightforward enough with my pieces, red wire to red wire, black to black


Seal up the joins with PVC tape


After that you just build and paint the wood as normal. I just did an autumn theme to match my army.

Here's some pics of the forest so far. I just need to finish the third tree and paint the bases of each tree.




You can't see in the pics cuz the light shows so bright, but it reflects off all the trunks and leaves, and looks very spooky. 



Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment