Thursday 21 July 2011

Out With The Old....

I'm hoping that I'll be happy enough with my dragon that it'll send me
on a buzz to continue with some more units. That's usually how I roll.
This task is made easier by the fact that I already have a dragon,
built and painted, so it's more of a reworking, starting with an
evaluation of what I already have. As you will see, the basis is the
plastic high elf dragon, which in itself is a lovely model.


1) The Rider- At the time I was kinda proud of this guy, but on longer
reflection, I think I can do better. First, his pose. I was a little
obsessed with the way the (at the time, new) wood elves all seemed to
be surfing or balancing on their monstrous steeds (see sisters of
twilight/lord on great eagle/warhawk riders) and tried to replicate
this. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work. I had to alter the saddle
to make him fit. I used the lord on great eagle body, swapping the
godawful head for a glade guard head. The one thing I do like, which I
will be keeping, is the mantle of antlers I fashioned out of great
stag horns.

My plan is to use the mounted lord, who i didn't like at first, but
has grown on me. I didn't like his vaguely triangular shape, but I
think if I make him a mantle, that'll make him 'bigger' and a better
silhouette. Other than that, I just need to make sure he sits astride
the dragon nicely, if not I'll need to make sure he can be filed into
shape.


2) The Face Mask- I love the way the asrai and their steeds all seem
to have these half-masks, so to make the dragon more wood-elf I tried
to sculpt a leather half-mask over one eye. It looks ok, but I think I
can do better. I plan to use plasticard to replicate the gold armour
plates along it's back, for a more armoured face.



3) The Mid-Section- As mentioned above, the saddle was extended, I'm gonna try to
put this back how it was. Also, last time this came outta the case, some kid snapped its wing off, I'll need to pin it back on.

4) The Base- Now, I like the base it comes with. But I recently saw
someones conversion where they swapped the rock for a tree. I'm still
in two minds about that. I'll see how I feel when the new rider is in
place. If it still needs more 'wood elf', I'll give it a go.



Thats the plan, lets hope it turns out ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment