Wednesday 27 July 2011

Saving The Stag

It's time for a bit of wildlife conservation. You see, I think I'm the only person in the world who likes the great stag model.

Now I know the usual arguments against it. It looks like a moose, a real stags antlers would do this or that, blah blah blah. I like it. It doesn't have to look like a real stag, because it's not a real stag. It's a great stag. With an elf on it's back. 

So about 4 years ago I set out to paint a great stag and silence the doubters with it's awesomeness. I caught a bit of background in the book about a White hart, and I knew that's what I wanted to paint.

So here's that stag I painted back then, and I'm quite proud of his brown-based whiteness. But where's the rider? ......ah....




The riders spear snapped, and I never got to replace it after component order dissapeared. I certainly am not buying an entire new stag for one spear arm. So it's high time I came up with an idea, as the poor devil has sat in the case and never been used.

Presenting, the stag rider body, and a spear arm from a spare warhawk rider.

 

The fit isn't good, but the spear is fancy enough for a noble, so I shave down the arm to the elbow. Then, using a file, I carefully round out the shaved bits to resemble the curve of the arm. Finally, I cut a small flat surface where the connection point will be.


A teency blob of green stuff and it's in place! Just a paintjob to do and the stag is no longer endangered!




he's actually a lot of fun to paint, sone nice detals but not overly fiddly. Hope you guys like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment